thoughts, rants, cravings, and dreams

Do you ever wonder? This is my wondering lab. I need it. Life gets too busy and hectic, and I need this...

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Peoria, Illinois, United States

I am a 22 year old searching for my niche in the world. I am a recent graduate of Moody Bible Institute with a Bachelors of Science in Biblical Studies. I work at Northwoods Community Church in Peoria, Illinois with college students and jr. high students.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Angels

I am slowly reading through Matthew. I came to a point in chapter 4 where I noticed something that I never really gave mention to before, and haven't ever really heard anyone speak to before. It is verse 11. Jesus had just been tempted by Satan several times. Each time he avoids temptation, temptation that is very attractive to Him, and it says "then the devil went away, and the angels came and cared for Jesus".
Jesus was hurt. I picture him breathing heavy like He just ran a marathon. He must have been exhausted because He needed comfort. He needed someone or something to care for Him. This brings a question to mind...

If Jesus needed help after being tempted, how much more do we need help after being tempted? And more than that, since Jesus was God we know He didn't sin and give in to the temptation like we sometimes do. We get a picture of how difficult it was for Him to avoid the temptation and He was God. Wow. It was so difficult for Him to say no that He needed "cared for" after Satan went away.

Now of course at this point He has gone 40 days and 40 nights without eating anything and this is when Satan attacks Him and suggests that He turn stones into bread. This is the ultimate from of temptation. Come on, the Dude is starving, literally, and someone comes along and says "Hey man, you can eat, don't be silly". But the God of the Universe resisted.

And then, Satan went away and the angels came and cared for Jesus.

1 Comments:

Blogger JGanschow said...

Great point Chris. It is very encouraging to know that: Christ even had to struggle with temptation AND that when we succeed in resisting temptations, that angels are rejoicing and comforting us as well.

p.s. angels rock.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home