thoughts, rants, cravings, and dreams

Do you ever wonder? This is my wondering lab. I need it. Life gets too busy and hectic, and I need this...

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Peoria, Illinois, United States

I am a 22 year old searching for my niche in the world. I am a recent graduate of Moody Bible Institute with a Bachelors of Science in Biblical Studies. I work at Northwoods Community Church in Peoria, Illinois with college students and jr. high students.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Leviticus

As I mentioned @ Nexus on Saturday night, I am reading through Leviticus right now. Man oh man, it is tough to read at times. The beginning of the book talks about different types of offerings and rules for doing them. Then we move into some tabernacle stuff and I've been reading today about what to do when people are ceremonially unclean.

Here is my question...What is the relevance today?

I understand that a lot of the Old Testament is relevant to us today so we can better understand the character of God the Father. But here I am reading about scars turning into skin disease and I sometimes struggle to continue to pick up my Bible in the morning and read.

All this to say that the OT can be difficult stuff to read. Certainly it is necessary to read, but it isn't always easy.

Any thoughts, questions, comments, or other concerns anyone has? Anyone else ever struggle to read the Old Testament?

3 Comments:

Blogger JGanschow said...

um, yeah. like you said, it's all about relevance. ceremonies, practices, and just plain culture has changed so much that a lot of it is so obscure without background info. that's why i like rob bell. he's a fountain of knowledge that make the words on the pages real and practical.

p.s. i promise to have some graphics to you tonight. crazy crazy weekend. sorry.

3:16 PM  
Blogger swishthedish said...

a lot of Jews,(and even some Christians) believe the first 5 books of the Old Testament are the most important and the rest are just commentary

3:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

okay.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home