thoughts, rants, cravings, and dreams

Do you ever wonder? This is my wondering lab. I need it. Life gets too busy and hectic, and I need this...

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Peoria, Illinois, United States

I am a 22 year old searching for my niche in the world. I am a recent graduate of Moody Bible Institute with a Bachelors of Science in Biblical Studies. I work at Northwoods Community Church in Peoria, Illinois with college students and jr. high students.

Monday, April 24, 2006

I just finished reading...


I just finished reading And the Angels were Silent for the third time. Each year for the past few years I've "tried" to read it during the Easter week. The book outlines the last 7 days of Jesus's life as well as the resurrection day. It is a fantastic book by Max Lucado and each year it helps me put into perspective how truly amazing it was what Christ did for us. I was particularly impressed with this...

Lucado is acting out a dialogue with Jesus and asks Jesus why he said "My God my God why have you abandoned me? (some translations say forsaken)...

And Lucado goes through a series of statements that eventually leads him to this ending...

But why am I telling you? You remember. You were the one who saw me. You were the one who found me. I was lonely. I was afraid. Remember? "Why? Why me? Why has all this hurt happened?"
I know it wasn't much of a question. But it was all I knew to ask. You see, God, I felt so confused. So desolate. Sin will do that to you. Sin leaves you shipwrecked, orphaned, adrift. Sin leaves you aban--
Oh, Oh my.
My goodness God. Is that what happened? You mean sin did the same to you that it did to me?
Oh I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't know. I didn't understand. You were really alone, weren't you?
Your question was real, wasn't it, Jesus? You really were afraid. You really were alone. Just like I was. Only I deserved it, you didn't.
Forgive me, I spoke out of turn.
Re-reading this part especially re-answered some questions I have had...why did God forsake Jesus on the Cross? How could that be? Because He really REALLY was carrying our sin. For a moment, Jesus was full of nastiness, our nastiness...and He was in intense pain...
A recommended read for anyone who has never read this book....it is excellent

1 Comments:

Blogger JGanschow said...

dude, thank you so much for the reference. I have always wondered why Christ said that on the cross. It didn't make sense to me before. But now i see it. I've felt the burden of sin before and in the time that it was the heaviest, i can honestly say that i felt alone. No matter how many "friends" i tried to surround myself with, i was still alone...

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home